Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 9, 2009 – From My Journal – M.C.Kejriwal School


M.C.Kejriwal School


We started off the day playing a game of squash. Very similar to racket ball, I found the sport to be quite competitive and demanding. After the game, we sat down to have a drink made from salt, lime, and soda. Believe it or not, it was quite refreshing. I later returned to my host family home to shower (Indian Shower) and finish out the rest of the day.



At M.C.K., I had a chance to look at the teaching practices of teachers that taught student with disabilities. I was amazed with what I saw. These students engage in several physical exercises each week. These may include yoga, skating, basketball, and etc. I instructed told me that they believe that these skills strengthen the student’s minds and increase their motor skills. I found that each student had progression levels far above the norm in the U.S.

The CIMA Gallery provided an excellent opportunity for us to see many of the local artist and different artistic styles around India. CIMA invited 15 India artists to respond to five artwork which profoundly impacted, Indian visual thought and history. The artworks chosen were, Bharatmata, The Santhal Family, Man with a Bouquet of Plastic Flowers, and the famous Guernica.
What finally emerged is indeed a fascinating repertoire of new ways of looking at art. This exhibit hoped to provide some insight into understanding how creative minds imbibe silently, interpret and finally redefine ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment